MacArthur Station consists of five phases of development.
Phase 1 – Infrastructure Development
Phase 1 started construction in May 2011 and includes:
- Demolition of two existing motels located on West MacArthur Boulevard
- Construction of a new BART parking garage, replacing the existing surface parking lot
- Renovation of the Station Entry Plaza
- Renovation of the existing frontage road that currently serves as the shuttle and passenger drop off/pick up loading zone
- Development of two new pedestrian and bicycle friendly streets and walkways
Construction of Phase 1 has been completed with the exception of the BART Plaza improvements, which are currently out for public bidding.
Phase 2 – New Affordable Housing Development
Phase 2 includes Mural, a new 90-unit affordable housing community, which was completed in December 2015.
Phases 3 through 5 – Market-Rate Housing Development
Phases 3 through 5 will include three market-rate housing projects that will include commercial and retail space on the ground floor. Construction is anticipated for the first market-rate phase in 2016.